Friday, October 30, 2009

The Mambas

"Better bring some Mambas." He said it almost matter of factly as he hung up, after telling me that Dr Rich wanted to meet with him and go over his "salvage treatment" plan. That first day, back in June, when they said "stage three testicular cancer" we had mambas, then on the day of his first surgery we had mambas, and the first time they hung that iv bag full of the venomous bliomyocin, we ate mambas. So I grabbed some on the way to the meeting and we ate em up, as Dr. Rich talked about bone marrow transplants and more rounds of chemo.
Today we met with the organ transplant people up at LDS hospital, Celeste, the receptionist greeted us with an almost overly kind, "Brett, we are so glad you could make it" followed by offers of soda, water, cookies, a mask, an isolated room, whatever he wanted, and we knew that we had crossed into something that was bigger then mambas. Brett filled out paperwork, I spoke with a guy battling Leukemia, and then we went to see the doctor. He talked about the procedure, about the weeks leading up to the big event, when he would be poked and prodded, when he would do a bone marrow biopsy, and when he would take shots to build up his marrow, and how they would hook him up to a machine and hit a button and his stem cells would be harvested. He talked about the three weeks in the hospital immediately following, and how he would have two weeks to recover, only to start the process over again. Brett said he needed a day, just a day to take it all in, and then he would feel ok about it. I believe him. I think maybe I will bring him some mambas tomorrow though just to get him through.
I have to be honest, you four blog readers, this feels pretty serious now. We like to joke, talked about getting him an engraved Brass Ball ("RIP old boy" is what it would read) but there isn't a lot of joking on the organ transplant floor. So I am asking, please dear readers, if you pray, please pray for Brett. I think his salvage chemo starts on Tuesday and the rest begins right after Thanksgiving.

11 comments:

Our Little Family said...

Carrie, we will definitely keep Brett and your family in our prayers! Stay Strong! And please know we love your family dearly. Let us know if we could do anything for you guys! I miss you! XOXOXO

linda said...

We love Brett. He is in our prayers. And we'll definitely eat Mambas just for Brett.

Erica Williams said...

You've got our prayers too! What a stinky thing to be going through. Hang in there and we're only a few streets away if we can help you with absolutely anything.

Melissa Papaj Photography said...

You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers!

JDB said...

You know me and my relationship to prayer -- but in this case -- you betcha. (I'll also do various pagan rituals in order to cover our bases . . . )

Kelly said...

Carrie I'll keep Brett in my thoughts and prayers.

Meredith said...

Carrie, my heart aches for you and your family and especially for Brett. Please know that all of you are loved so much and thought of and prayed for and that we will continue to do so. We've submitted his name on the temple prayer rolls as well. I hate Cancer! But if anyone is going to kick it's butt, it's Brett! You guys are strong and you will get through this. We'll be here along the way to love, support and cheerlead all of you on!! And now, we'll eat Mambas!

Nicole said...

I will not only pray for Brett and his strength to get through this, but also for you and the rest of the family to stay strong and may God be with all of you through the next step in the "get rid of cancer" process. Hayden and I love you all and are here for you if you need us.

Yvonna Montgomery said...

Charles and I are keeping you all in our prayers as well. I know that God will be there through every step of the way. Stay positive through it all. We love you!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Carrie. This has probably been a not so fun year for you just due to all that is going on with Brett. I cannot imagine how you keep a smile on your face and keep plugging along. Of course you are all in our prayers. We love you guys!

The Uffens Family said...

You got it. (And you let me know if you need me to bring YOU some Mambas sometime too.)
P