Friday, October 2, 2009

The Paper Route and other memories

"Papers."
"Hmmmhm?"
"Carrie, your turn for papers, time to get up."
"UHgghhehheehhh."
And so began the hour and a half at 4:30 AM before even the rooster crowed in which we got up and delivered the Vacaville Reporter to eager readers all across the sleepy city. In the summer when it was nice, it really wasn't so bad, we would chug through town in our old VW van with the door wide open, chucking papers into driveways, running papers up to porches and fishing papers out of bushes (I was a really bad shot and my dad insisted on perfect paper placement). The balmy dark air would blow in, keeping us in a state halfway between asleep and awake as the oldies station played Elvis's "Can't help falling in love".
My brother Trevor lives in one of the apartment complexes we delivered to, there are two lion statues guarding the entrance and after we delivered (to apartments 8, 10, 20 and 22) I would almost always run into one on the way out.
Although at the time I hated getting up, (I lay in horror at night at the thought of any of my friends catching me hanging out of a van at that hour in my pjs, and to this day I can't stand the smell of softsoap because it reminds me of trying to scrub the newsprint off my hands lest one of the aforementioned friends see how dirty I got working to help put food on the table,) I think that I my love of vacaville may have come in those wee hours of the morning. Driving around the rolling, velvety brown hills dotted with oak trees. The little cafe whose most common patron is a down home local who remembers when Vacaville was only a small farming community. The Black Oak restaurant, with what once was the tallest sign in the area. While in town this week, we took the girls over to the newly remodeled Nut Tree. I was happy to see that the old oversized rocking horses had been included in the childrens play area. I was also very happy to see that along the top of the new carousel were depictions of old Vacaville, as the town must have been in the beginning, when it was a friendly agricultural center. Although it looks as though it has been hard hit by our sagging economy (as evidenced by the missing Bakers Square and Lyons, where I learned to dip my fries in milkshakes) I am happy to report that downtown is just as beatiful as ever.... Which is why I decided we must do a photo session there. And now I am hooked. The Kuic building, Vasquez Deli, the barber shop, all perfect backdrops for baby Owen to play around with mom and dad in. Here are a few of my favorite shots. If you are from Vacaville, or have ever been to Vacaville, would you take a moment to leave a comment and include your favorite memories.. One of mine is swimming in the Buck Mansion pool with our old neighbors and thinking we saw ghosts inside while we were changing in the bath house. Another is roller blading across town at three in the morning with Jamie Johnson to go sit on Andy Borges porch swing. And of course, my very favorite memory of all was driving home from the paper route with the doors still open, the warm wind on my face, listening to "wise men say only fools rush in...."






I feel a little bit cruel posting this picture, but I just thought it was so adorable, with him in his little man jeans, reaching out for his daddy.



yum, hair product.

















5 comments:

Our Little Family said...

Beautiful Pictures, Carrie! I totally forgot about swimming at the Buck Mansion with Sandra and Michelle! How funny that you remember that! I remember walking across the street and walking in your family’s house without knocking like I was part of your family! Oh, how I miss living back on the court... what great memories!
P.S. I am soooo jealous you had Vasquez Deli!! Mmmmm Yummy!!

carriebutler said...

Janelle! I forgot you were there too! That makes it even better!

Erin Hughes Photography said...

Awesome shots, Carrie! I love the brick wall, GREAT contrast! They are a beautiful family (and my favorite is the yummy hair product shot). :)

Mike Butler said...

Carrie does such a good job of making us all feel like we were there and experiencing her earlier years right along with her. Thank you for sharing your memories with us. Helps us all understand a little better what makes you so great. Love you!

Kristin Murray said...

I miss the WOOZ! It would be so fun to take the kids there, if only it were still around. I have fond memories of visiting there with friends in 5th grade. I remember them having dj's there sometimes with all that fabulous late 80's dance music!