Thursday, August 7, 2008

Going back to Cali

I am headed out for my cousins wedding this weekend in San Diego, and I can't wait! Unfortunately I made the decision to go out a month ago and booked only one ticket thinking it wouldn't be a big deal for Paige to just have some "daddy time" but now that it is approaching, I feel so sad that she isn't coming along. It will be a good chance to have some one on one time with Mia however and I am so excited to take her to the beach. I will be doing some photos of my sister's friend's newborn, seeing one of my closest friends Emily, eating at Filipis, and of course spending some quality time with my sister and her family. I feel so lucky and blessed to be able to travel back and forth to California as much as I have and I have to say a huge and heartfelt thank you to Mike for being so supportive of my overthetop, insatiable love for my home state. I have made a short list of things I really really love about the Golden State.

1. The smell. I can't get enough of that orange blossomy smell that you only notice if you have been away.
2. The rolling hills, dotted with an old Oak Tree here and there.
3. Walking barefoot in sand after a long day in the water, all sunburned, before it starts to hurt and after the sun is too low to burn you any longer.
4. Going to San Fransisco and eating at Fog City Diner, and taking in the Golden Gate.
5. Diversity. I recently read a book that talked about certain geographic areas which were happier then others and it was suggested that areas of the world that were homogeneous were happier. Maybe. Maybe not. But I am always tickled when I am not one of a million blond haired blue eyed mothers to small children, that is certain.
6. The Spanish style architecture, especially in San Diego area.
7. The nail place that does a pedi/mani for $17.99 near PB. I wonder if they have raised their prices because of gas too? Who cares, even if they raised them 20% its still a steal.
8. The sound of those birds (are they doves?) in the morning at my grandparents house.
9. Disneyland, more specifically, the smell on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride.
10. In and Out Burger. (ok, as a disclaimer, I don't really LOVE the food there. But the mere fact that it is unavailable out here in Salt Lake City is reason enough to put it on a list)

I have lived in six different states, one different country and have been gone from California for eight years now, but every time I get off that plane, I feel like I am finally home again after a long absence. So look out, cause tomorrow I am comin home!

2 comments:

jennifer said...

Wish I was going to Cali with you!!
I can't wait to see the photos you take while you are there! Have fun and tell all our "Me Ra gals" I said hello!! Hugs from Florida!! - It's HOT down here :-)

Laura said...

I know how you feel. I will always love CALI. I feel I'm am best suited for beach living. How I ended up in the desert is still a mystery.