Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Two Miracles

It is officially fall and while I will miss the summer and be cursing the state of Utah come first snow fall, I am excited. Paige is in school, Mia and I will be attending Mommy and Me classes at the library and I am back at the gym. Some other reasons to celebrate? Thursday night t.v. is back on (oh how I have missed you, Tina, Alec, Tracy, Jenna...) there is a new Olive Garden down the street and they have some cool new soup containers for take out (do any of you really know how much I love soup? Especially the fatty cream soups loaded with buttery calories) (don't worry, I am back at the gym) and most importantly, Brett is done with his Chemo treatments. He got a long anticipated call this morning from the beloved Dr Rich saying that his tumor markers are now within levels of normal. WOO...HOO! I can't seem to find an accurate way of expressing all of the emotions that this news brings with it, but I can tell you about the last day of his chemo and how we were skipping through the halls of the hospital singing zip a dee doo dah.. I can say that during his last round of chemo we saw how truly ugly cancer treatment can be. And I can definately say that it is a miracle that after only three months of treatment, the "inumorous" tumors in his lungs are no longer growing, that he can breath normally and that he does not have any permanent damage to his lungs. We now move on to the part where they try and figure out how to remove all the tumors without cutting him from the top of his collar bone to the bottom of his abdomen, but after this summer I have absolute faith in the doctors and I know they will be successful. I have to say, again, I am so moved by the kindness of people involved in his care and the friends and family that have rallied to his aid.



Now about this second miracle, as you know, at the beginning of the summer Brett was uninsured. Though the hospital has been remarkable in his care and treatment during this time, (his urologist, Dr. Oldroyd never even sent a bill for the surgery he performed) the bills were piling up. For some reason, and I guess we may never know why, his cobra benefits were reinstated, and set to be retroactive beginning at a time before he was diagnosed. Although there is still a financial responsibility for Brett, the mere fact that he is insured has opened up a door to different treatment options concerning his surgery and his post surgery care that simply weren't possible before. So there it is. He is halfway through the process and the outlook is very very positive. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.



I was asked to do some pictures for a friend of Mikes parents, who are going to school here but are from Russia, I was honored to be part of their day and really impressed by what beautiful people they are, here are some preview pictures. The little girl in the pictures is Mia, she came with me to help carry my bags. Isn't she a doll of a toddler?






9 comments:

lisa said...

This is such great news! I can't believe his COBRA benefits kicked in. THat is perfect. I'm so happy for your whole family (especially Brett).

KatieG said...

That is such wonderful news Carrie. I am so happy for you and your family (esp. Brett). What a great blessing.
YAY YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!
I would be skipping through the halls too.

Our Little Family said...

Carrie, What fantastic news! I'm so happy for you, your family and Brett! And I love miracles especially miracles that happen to one of my FAVORITE families!! Lots of love to you guys...
P.S. I love, love the picture below with Mia, so precious!

Tessa said...

Such wonderful news about Brett Carrie! I'm sure it's a huge relief for all of you knowing he has benefits again. BTW, his doctor sounds wonderful. He didn't bill him for the surgery?? I don't know a doctor like that...he IS an angel!!!

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing the wonderful news!!!! I hope things continue to go well!!!

Kacey and Eddie said...

WOO....HOO!!!!

Mike Butler said...

It really has been quite the summer. We've seen this summer how emotions can just roll all over the place over the course a few months. Going through all of this with Brett and specifically the emotion of not having prime time TV has been really tough on Carrie. ;-)

We love you Brett! We're so lucky to have you as a Brother, Bro-in-law, Uncle, and Friend.

Erica Williams said...

Yay Carrie!!! What wonderful news about Brett. I am SO HAPPY to hear it! And you are right. Thursday night TV is going to be AWESOME!!! We can't wait...The DVR is all ready to go :)

Nicole said...

Praise the LORD!!!!! I've been wondering how Brett was doing and I'm so happy to hear everything is looking great. God is sooooo wonderful and the power of prayer is amazing!!!!! I can't wait to hear the things God has in store for Brett in the months to come. Love and Prayers will still continue for Brett and the rest of the family. keep us all posted.

Luv you!

P.S. Lunch will be coming soon. I may have a little extra cash next Wednesday if you're not doing anything.